Saturday, September 18, 2010

Goodbye to Teaching

-
See Wellesley College historian Jerold S. Auerbach's description of the joys and sorrows of a last year of teaching. Love what he calls that final year!

Jerold S. Auerbach, "Victory Lap," Chronicle of Higher Education, September 16, 2010.

"As the end approached, I was frequently reminded of my own best college teachers who, in their varied ways, had burrowed under my intellectual skin. . . .

I wanted at least part of my final survey class to be open and spontaneous. In brief concluding remarks, I referred to the pleasures of uncovering the past while trying to make sense of it to students in their very different present. Then we had a delightful conversation. Inevitably, a student asked where I was during the 1960s, and what I had done to save the world. . . .">>>

No comments: